gurnaikjohal

Manchester students start new academic journal

Students in The University of Manchester’s English Literature, American Studies and Creative Writing department have created a new academic journal, called Polyphony. Founded by third-year-student Hana Jafar with the aim to spread “creative, innovative, and high quality writing” by other undergraduate students, Polyphony will “provide […] readers with an accessible resource to enrich their experience […]
Photo: Polyphony

Students in The University of Manchester’s English Literature, American Studies and Creative Writing department have created a new academic journal, called Polyphony.

Founded by third-year-student Hana Jafar with the aim to spread “creative, innovative, and high quality writing” by other undergraduate students, Polyphony will “provide […] readers with an accessible resource to enrich their experience of reading and writing”.

While the journal will be an official academic publication, the students at the heart of it are determined to do things a little differently, to make a little noise. The journal’s name, in a musical sense “can be defined as music in which several different melodies are played or sung at the same time, interwoven but not necessarily in harmony”. The name then, reveals the aim at the core of the journal, to provide a platform for a diverse set of voices across a wide range of topics.

By publishing “cross-departmental work” and encouraging “discussion and debate within the undergraduate community” the team behind the journal aims to carve out a space in academia for new undergraduate voices.

I talked to Devi Joshi, Editor-in-Chief of Polyphony, about the kinds of work that the journal is looking to publish. “We are looking for insightful, original and academically excellent essays, and engaging pieces of creative writing.” The journal’s output will include academic essays as well as short stories and poems.

Any marked piece of work in the EAC department can be submitted to Polyphony, and each piece that is accepted is then peer-reviewed by a team of masters and PhD students.

The journal is currently open for submissions until December 14th, with the first issue to be published after the Christmas holidays.

To find out more about Polyphony, and how to submit your work, you can find them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@PolyphonyUoM). 

Poetic Prizes: The Forward Prizes takes on the North

After relocating to Manchester’s Contract Theatre, the Mancunion attends the prestigious Forward Prizes for a night of awe and bereavement

Book references in Taylor Swift’s songs: Lyrical masterpieces

Taylor Swift has dominated the music industry for over ten years. She has ten original award-winning studio albums, with her most recent one, Midnights, breaking Spotify records. Swift’s love of books is no secret, especially when considering the many books she has recommended over the years. This includes Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney, recently […]

Review: The Leviathan

Witchcraft. Demonic possession. All-knowing entities. these are just a few of the themes to expect in Rosie Andrew’s explosive debut novel

A Bookmark biography: The charity that helps children read

As well as providing all the information you need to know about who Bookmark are, what they do and how you can get involved, the Mancunion interviews Bookmark’s Anna Pickles to ask about all the extra info, plus her favourite book