zofiagryflowczowska

MANIFF 2020: Amores perros

Alejandro González Iñárritu’s 2000 directorial debut Amores perros provides a look into the class structure in Mexico City that is still relevant today, writes Zofia Gryf-Lowczowska
MANIFF 2020: Amores perros
Photo: MANIFF

It’s 20 years since Alejandro González Iñárritu directed Amores perros, but its themes are just as potent today. Set in Mexico City, Amores perros is comprised of three separate stories that come into contact with one another as the result of a car crash.

The first story is that of Octavio (Gael García Bernal), a young man living in one of Mexico City’s working-class neighbourhoods. Desperately in love with his brother’s wife Susana (Vanessa Bauche), Octavio gets involved in the city’s underground dogfighting scene in an attempt to gather enough money to run away with Susana.

This provides a stark contrast to the second story, which depicts the cushy upper-class lives of a Daniel (Álvaro Guerrero) and his Spanish supermodel girlfriend Valeria (Goya Toledo). Lastly, and even more distinguished, is El Chivo (Emilio Echevarría), a hitman living in squalor in the outskirts of Mexico City with his pack of rescued stray dogs.

Had it not been for the car crash, the lives of the aforementioned characters would never have crossed paths. In illustrating this separation of people all living within the same city, Iñárritu highlights the extreme class and wealth divisions within Mexico City; divisions that are still present today.

However, something that links all the characters are dogs; throughout the film dogs are used to aid Iñárritu’s criticism of animal cruelty, violence and machismo.

In a scene that captures the central message of the film, El Chivo returns home to find that one of his dogs, Cofi, who had been used for dogfighting, has killed all the other dogs. He is about to shoot him, but stops himself, deciding that Cofi’s aggression is a result of the cruel way humans have treated him and the violence that has been conditioned into him.

4/5.

Priscilla review: Coppola gives voice to the voiceless

Sofia Coppola is back with another portrait of girlhood, this time showing the life of Priscilla Presley beyond Elvis’ shadow

Wicked Little Letters review: Profanity and mystery in 1920s England

Come for the endless profanity but stay for Olivia Colman in this new comedy set in 1920s England

Preview: Manchester Film Festival returns to the Great Northern | MFF 2024

Manchester Film Festival returns once again to the Odeon Great Northern, this time they’re celebrating 10 years of introducing cutting-edge cinema to the city’s audience

Uncut film takes: The biggest Oscar snubs of the last 10 years

Which films deserved a win or even just a nomination? We’re here to correct history