daisybradbury

Why Instagram influencers are important now more than ever

Why influencers are essential for us to make it through the coronavirus pandemic
Photo: Maddi Bazzocco @ Unsplash

In times like these, we all need someone to turn to and keep us going. Although Instagram influencers are primarily known for recommending that new mascara or showing off their latest finds from Pretty Little Thing, their value might go further than this during the pandemic.

Due to the mass closing of shops and the cancellation of many fashion shows and red-carpet events, finding fashion inspiration has become incredibly difficult. Instagram influencers are combatting this by constantly providing inspiration for real life styles that are relevant to the current moment. They’re also more sincere than ever, as the lack of new releases that they might otherwise promote and brands having lower advertising budgets means what they’re recommending is genuine.

Not only do they provide easily accessible style inspiration, but they’re also a constant form of support and familiarity during these difficult times. There’s much more to influencers than what meets the eye – they can entertain, inspire you, motivate you to try something new  – it’s not just about looking at their photo and liking the dress they’re wearing.

Influencers have proven on countless occasions during the coronavirus outbreak that they are more than just pretty faces that want to persuade you to buy flat-tummy teas and a new pair of Balenciagas. Strictly Come Dancing star and influencer Saffron Barker started the #YouTubers4NHSHeroes fundraising campaign where many YouTube influencers donated all of the money earned from one of their videos to the campaign (most notably Zoe Sugg, aka Zoella, with 4.82 million subscribers).

Other influencers have responded to the coronavirus pandemic by heading to the frontline themselves, including Love Island’s Anna Vakili returning to work as a pharmacist, stating in an Instagram caption: “with everything that’s going on it felt wrong not to.”

From entertaining us during the lockdown to using their platform to raise awareness and money for the NHS, influencers are doing everything that they can to help during this pandemic, giving us healthy doses of real life and escapism in equal measure.

Daisy Bradbury

Daisy Bradbury

Fashion Editor

Vivienne Westwood: The ‘Queen of British Fashion’ and her orb

We take a look at the life and works of the much-loved Dame Vivienne Westwood, from visiting Buckingham Palace commando to telling people not to buy clothes. Who was the Queen of fashion?

Make-up Soc’s guide to Winter glam

Check out the President of Makeup Society’s guide to winter glam makeup for the holiday season this year

In the Beauty Bag #11: Union Affairs Officer Sam Bronheim

Recent graduate and SU representative Sam Bronheim shares her beauty journey, tips she learnt from her mom and makeup bargains

Frosty elf chic: From the runway to TikTok, this seasons Winter trends

Winter trends are back with a boom and this year has seen a real change-up in Winter uniform, taking inspiration from several time periods, weather, and designer favourites from the runway