rossmcfadden

Grimmfest 2020: Rent-A-Pal

Jon Stevenson’s directorial debut Rent-A-Pal is an intriguing character study ultimately let down by its underdeveloped script and weak ending, writes Ross McFadden
Grimmfest 2020: Rent-A-Pal
Photo: Courtesy of Grimmfest

John Stephenson’s first feature film has a fairly simple setup: a lonely and depressed caregiver, David, gradually loses his sanity and becomes dangerously obsessed with an enigmatic new friend. The twist? His friend isn’t real. ‘Andy’ is just a character on a ‘Rent-A-Pal’ video tape.

Honestly, most of the film is pretty solid. Stephenson’s experience as a cinematographer/camera operator clearly shines through in his thoughtful and often visually striking direction. His script also constructs both a menacing villain and a believable protagonist, although every other character is largely two-dimensional. The vastly different central performances complement each other well; Brian Landis Folkins brings credible nuance to the muted loner David, while Wil Wheaton’s heightened portrayal of the cheerily sinister ‘Andy’ is simultaneously immensely engaging and deeply disturbing. Wheaton’s also pairs with the 90s setting to cultivate an off-putting sense of twisted nostalgia. 

The perhaps-slightly-too-slow pacing may put off some viewers, but the first two acts hint toward an explosively satisfying ending for those willing to invest.

Unfortunately, the eventual climax enormously disappoints. David’s sanity, which had been slowly ebbing away, takes a sudden nosedive of epic proportions amounting to a level of cartoonish evil which feels entirely unearned. As it pushes further into conventional horror tropes, the film ditches everything that made it interesting, instead leaning on boring clichés to round out the narrative. 

If you’re looking for an interesting horror-based exploration of isolation, give Rent-a-Pal a try. Just turn it off a bit before the end.

3/5.

Eyes Wide Shut 25 years on: A feast for the eyes, a nightmare for the mind

As part of Cultplex’s on-going Movie Church series, fans of Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut celebrate his beautifully nightmare-ish film 25 years on

Mothers’ Instinct review: How far will you go to protect your family?

Academy Award Winners Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain have a 1960s face-off in this eerie, twisted game of cat-and-mouse

My formative film: Sprinkles of Stardust can be seen everywhere

How Ian McKellan’s narration, Robert De Niro in drag, and Mark Strong in a matted wig makes Stardust the perfect fantasy film

Jurassic Park: T-Rexcellent or bit of a Dino-snore?

Does Jurassic Park still hold up or would Spielberg have been better off leaving the dinosaurs extinct?