Event Review: RAG does the Time Warp

“Almost everyone (including the men) were wearing corsets or fishnets of some description.”

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Wednesday 23rd March saw Manchester RAG and Film Soc put on an interactive showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show to raise money for charity. Well the only thing to say is those of you who didn’t go really missed out on an outstanding evening’s entertainment. The night was a mix of the showing of the classic cult film, with a live cast playing it out in front of us at the same time.
  Arriving in what I thought was suitable attire for the evening (silver top hat and a tight leather waistcoat) it quickly became all too apparent that I was in fact overdressed. Almost everyone (including the men) were wearing corsets or fishnets of some description. Hanging my head in shame, I took my seat and was very pleased to hear that before the film began, all of those who hadn’t seen Rocky Horror before would be suitably introduced to it by some light hearted games. The first of which was “whose arse is it anyway?” where the blindfolded contestants had to figure out who a cast member was by touch only (and I think you can guess how). The other games had content that shouldn’t really be printed, and so you can just use your imagination, but rest assure they were very entertaining.
The film itself was an even more rowdy affair. All of us had props to use at certain points; water pistols to squirt at people, and confetti to throw about. Heckling was greatly encouraged, I certainly did my fair share, and anytime Janet appeared on the screen, yells of “slut” and various other things accompanied her.
  The whole evening was well run and put together, I must commend both RAG and Film Soc for putting on what was an entertaining and incredibly fun showing. For all of those who weren’t there you had better hope that they decide to do it again, you missed out on the Time Warp.

John Milward

Priscilla review: Coppola gives voice to the voiceless

Sofia Coppola is back with another portrait of girlhood, this time showing the life of Priscilla Presley beyond Elvis’ shadow

Wicked Little Letters review: Profanity and mystery in 1920s England

Come for the endless profanity but stay for Olivia Colman in this new comedy set in 1920s England

Preview: Manchester Film Festival returns to the Great Northern | MFF 2024

Manchester Film Festival returns once again to the Odeon Great Northern, this time they’re celebrating 10 years of introducing cutting-edge cinema to the city’s audience

Uncut film takes: The biggest Oscar snubs of the last 10 years

Which films deserved a win or even just a nomination? We’re here to correct history