maddy-hubbard

Mini chocolate cherry tarts

These tarts are a delicious alternative treat to the ubiquitous (and overrated) mince pie

Ingredients

• 10 digestives
  • 5 tbsp butter
  • 150g milk chocolate
  • 2 eggs
  • 50g golden caster sugar
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 tub glace cherries
  • 1 tbsp brandy

(Makes 12-14 cupcake sized tarts)

Method

Bash the digestives and add 2 tbsp of melted butter, then press the combined mixture into the base of a cupcake tray, lined with cases. Bake in the oven for 10 mins at 180C.

Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and remaining butter in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Leave to cool for a minute then vigorously beat in the eggs, followed by the brandy, sugar, flour and a pinch of salt.

Chop up the glace cherries and fill each cupcake case with them, then pour over the chocolate mixture, and bake for 20 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.

Leave to cool if you can, although in my kitchen they were all devoured within about ten minutes.

A brewing success: Withington’s new Something More Productive

Stepping into Withington’s newly treasured coffee spot, we speak to the owner of Something More Productive

Not just another New Year deal: A review of Lucky Ramen

Offering 50% off from Monday to Wednesday, Lucky Ramen is the perfect student spot to try this semester

Rusholme’s finest sandwich is the Kurdish shawarma at Al-Zain

This Curry Mile favourite serves shawarma and beautifully fresh salad in freshly baked bread, and its affordable food is some of Manchester’s best

Pancake day: Two recipes to enjoy on February 13

February 13 is the traditional Pancake Day, so here are two recipes and some inspiration for making and enjoying some pancakes, either with your housemates, friends or on your own