grainne-morrison

Red Carpet 101

Gráinne Morrison on the intricate rules of red carpet etiquette.
Red Carpet 101

When making one’s way down the red carpet, etiquette is absolutely everything. I could not tell you who won the Academy Award for Best Actress last year, but I can tell you who was wearing what and if it worked or not; we all know this is where the true winners and losers are decided. From the dress and hair to the choice of pose, nothing is overlooked. One wants to pay heed to current trends in the fashion world whilst also maintaining a look that will survive the years and not be looked back on in anguish. Victoria Beckham is the ultimate repeat offender of this.

Photo: jenniferfabulous.blogspot.com
Photo: jenniferfabulous.blogspot.com

There are some obvious don’ts concerning outfit choice (dramatic as it may sound, wearing the same dress as another attendee can ruin your night, as well as your reputation). Furthermore, a bad dress will be remembered, this Uma Thurman picture still makes me shudder almost a decade on. Depending on the magnitude of an awards ceremony, the rules may vary but there are some pertinent guidelines for red carpet success: the old rule of cleavage or legs on show, not both, is one that translates for most ceremony-goers; unless you are Beyoncé. Obviously. In fact this year the Grammy awards imposed a dress code on its guests, stating amongst many other guidelines that ‘Bare sides or under curvature of the breasts’ would cause problems – who knew under boobs were such a no-no? Through the years many rules have been crafted so as to keep up the stellar reputation of the awards season. Starlets have had to learn from their predecessors’ triumphs and fails. Putting weights in one’s gown is an age-old favourite; not everyone looks as glamorous as Marilyn with their skirts blowing in the wind. Thus there is never any excuse for repeating someone else’s past mistakes. But while etiquette may be everything, it is important to remember the likes of Rihanna or Jennifer Lopez, who continue to show us that rules are made to be broken.

Since when was ginger ‘in’?

Since when was ginger ‘in’?

Since when was red hair in? Read our beauty article to find out why red hair is trending in the celebrity world and what it means for the real gingers of the world
Beauty is in the eyes of the colonizer

Beauty is in the eyes of the colonizer

We discuss the damaging impacts of western beauty standards on women of colour in society today. Ideas of beauty should not be restrictive.
In the Beauty Bag #8

In the Beauty Bag #8

Have a look inside the beauty bag of fashion marketing student Zahra and see what products she recommends, from hair care miracles to skin care must haves.
Accounting for Style #12 – Second Hand Retail Therapy

A second year student who loves second hand shopping and relies on retail therapy records her spending for the month