bailey-petts

How to combat ‘freshers’ face’

Is your skin suffering from partying too hard in Freshers’ Week? We give some helpful tips on how to combat freshers’ face, including the best type of alcohol to drink to reduce the effects of a wild night out

As we welcome the new first years to the University, they are thrown into a lifestyle where drinking a high quantity of alcohol throughout the week is the norm, particularly during Freshers’ Week. Late nights, sugary alcoholic drinks and drunk food all have an impact on your skin—with an increase in spots, dry and dull skin, as well as increased pigmentation (such as a red flush). Alcohol dehydrates your entire body so it’s so important to drink a lot of water the next day after a heavy night. If you can, drink a glass of water before you go to sleep after a night of drinking as well to help fight the effects.

For girls, taking your make-up off before you go to sleep is key to avoid spots, blocked pores, and skin redness. Maintaining a good cleanse, tone, and moisturize system will also aid with clearer skin. Eyes can lose their brightness and the late nights, lack of sleep, and overall alcohol consumption can cause puffy eyes. To help eradicate these symptoms without altering your sleeping pattern, splashing your face with cold water, or putting fresh cucumber or tea bags over your eye area will improve this (the tannin in tea is particularly effective at eradicating puffiness and discoloration).

Investing in good exfoliators, cleansers and moisturizers, consuming more fruit and vegetables and less sugary, fatty foods as well as introducing some light exercise to your routine will mean you can enjoy your nights out with reduced consequences.

Obviously limiting the amount of alcohol you consume, choosing a purer alcohol such as good quality gin or vodka (these typically leave your body quicker), and drinking water in between your alcoholic drinks to promote a diuretic effect will not only help with hangovers but will help with freshers’ face. No one wants to decline a night out, especially in first year, so utilize these tips and party without completely sacrificing your youthful and fresh appearance.

Mindfulness around Christmas

The joys of Christmas are not always felt by everyone. For some, this time of year can be especially hard. So, here is why its important to look after yourself, practise self-care, and have a more mindful Christmas time

Your guide to Manchester’s Christmas Markets

The Lifestyle section gives you our rundown of Manchester’s Christmas Markets, with all our festive top picks, in locations such as Piccadilly Gardens, Market Street, and St Ann’s Square

Handling a Hangover (the Scandinavian way)

A trip to Copenhagen reformed my world view on how to handle a hangover. Scandinavian girls just seem to have got it. So how do British girls get it too?

Empowerment through language: Stop putting yourself down

With Reclaim the Night in mind, the Lifestyle section has decided to unpack how the language we use to address ourselves and others has the power to change our outlook from self-doubt to self-confidence