lily-carden
23rd February 2017

Harissa and Turmeric Dal

This dal is vegetarian, vegan, simple, cheap and packed full of flavour. What more could you want?

Serves 2-3

Takes 25 minutes to make

I’ve been making this a lot recently as it’s quick and tasty (and importantly, cheap). It tastes great on its own but if you want to jazz it up then either top it with diced roast sweet potatoes, serve with rice or naan (the best tip is to buy a naan from your local takeaway and add it to your own meal). Don’t like spice? Just use less harissa (though some is needed for flavour). You can buy it easily from the international aisle of many supermarkets — if you can get it, I particularly recommend rose harissa.

Ingredients

1tbsp olive oil

1 small onion, diced

3tsp turmeric powder

1-3 tsp harissa paste

250g red lentils

400ml coconut milk

400ml water

1 lime, juiced

Method

Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions until soft. Add the harissa and turmeric and cook for one minute. Pour in the lentils, coconut milk and water, stir everything together. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft but retain their shape and no longer taste bitter. Ladle into bowls and drizzle a generous amount of lime juice over it. Hey presto, it’s done. Serve with your chosen accompaniments.

Brunch at Santé: A slice of sun

Santé offers the perfect spot for a sunny al fresco brunch, topped off with student-budget friendly deals and a brilliantly Mediterranean inspired menu

Giving ‘Too Good To Go’ a go!

Is ‘Too Good To Go’ the sustainable, money saving app that students need to download?