talia-g-lee-skudder

Fashion player of the week: Donatella Versace

Last week saw Donatella Versace honoured at the British Fashion Awards for her work as the artistic director of the eponymous brand

Having taken over the reigns of artistic director following her brother, Gianni Versace’s untimely death in 1997, Donatella was awarded the fashion icon award at the London event hosted by the British Fashion Council.

The award comes following the iconic and memorable show at this September’s Milan Fashion Week, where Donatella recruited the original 90s supermodels to walk in the finale of the runway show that paid homage to her brother and his most famous designs.

Her award comes nearly 40 years after the brand’s inception in 1978 and commemorates the 20 years since Donatella took over the iconic fashion house and continued to uphold Gianni Versace’s legacy, creating seasons of fabulous clothing and trends.

Starting her career as her brother’s muse, partner and creative director of Versus, it was Donatella who introduced celebrity to the fashion house and incorporated them into their advertisements.

It is her innovative style and unyielding cultural influence in the fashion industry that makes Donatella the most deserved recipient of this sought after award.

Donatella commented: “For 40 years my brother and I have done what we love and that is a legacy I am honoured to continue and uphold.

“We have celebrated empowerment, joy and of course glamour. We have championed a community of people who share our values and together with them have created truly iconic images in the world of fashion…”

In addition to expressing her thanks to those who have supported her in her fashion endeavours over the years, Donatella concludes with a tribute to her brother.

“…thank you to the genius that was my brother Gianni. His incredible spirit is in everything we do and everything we stand for.”

Natalie Massenet, Chairman of the British Fashion Council expressed her gratitude for the genius contributions made by Donatella Versace to the fashion industry.

She commented: “Donatella Versace is an exemplary woman and designer who has shaped the global fashion industry with her vision for Versace.” She finished by adding, “What I admire the most about her is her ability to make women look and feel powerful.”

The star-studded fashion awards show also saw Adwoa Aboah win model of the year, menswear label Off White win Urban Luxe brand of the year, whilst designer of the year went to Raf Simmons for Calvin Klein.

Leopard print roars back: The resurgence of a popular fashion trend

Exploring the resurgence of leopard print – how the iconic pattern clawed its way back into fashion’s spotlight with a blend of nostalgia, contemporary flair, and widespread celebrity endorsement

Celebrity style guide #7: Lewis Hamilton

Not everyone would look to the Formula 1 paddock for style inspiration, but luckily our editors have some insight from Lewis Hamilton to help you elevate your wardrobe

What the Croc? Pringles x Crocs and other crazy collabs

We explore some of Crocs’ weird collaborations with brands, artists, and designers that have rocked the fashion world as of late

3D nails: Achieving new heights in beauty

Does the rise of 3D nail art in the wake of the ‘clean girl’ beauty era signal the resurgence of maximalism? Where did the 3D nail trend begin and where can you get your own unique set?