urussamalik
23rd May 2019

Review: ‘Truth and Other Associated Works’ by the Creative Writing Society

Urussa Malik reviews the Creative Writing Society’s new zine, ‘Truth and Other Associated Works’, edited by Calvin Cheng, Adrian Kanyoli, and Toreh O’Garro
Cover Art by Hannah Teeger

Finished just before the dreaded second semester essays and exams loom, Truth and Other Associated Works, a zine showcasing the work of the Creative Writing Society, is a dynamic representation of over 20 pieces of student literature. The zine is a great format for the work and a digital archive will follow soon after.

One standout short story is ‘That’s Just the Shape of My Earth’ by Jack Greeney, full of conspiracy theories and great one-liners. Based around a conversation between Winstone, the protagonist, and The Agent, it could effectively be converted into a two-act play, and many of its details lend themselves to the stage.

Speaking of visuals, throughout the zine, photographs of Manchester and surrounding areas are interweaved with the written work. I was particularly struck by Harley Weng U Pun’s head-turning images of Manchester, especially ‘The Towers, Owen Park’.

A similar cinematic technique is employed in Lena Horak’s poem ‘Somewhere Else’: ‘Cut. To a scene where the sand is the witness’. The poem moves between the image of the desert and ‘a sea that can’t let go of the shore’.

Now, for a quick run-through of some other pieces: Ellen Garard’s story ‘Three Months Before He Left’ is about the ‘parody of romance’, an ailing attempt at seduction in a tired marriage filled with concise phrases, for example, ‘with all the realism of canned laughter’.

‘Mandala’ by Youssef (Yassin) Abdelwahab is a rhyming poem, loosely based around the structure of a sonnet. My favourite line is ‘Their names are carved on stones while ours endure the sand’ which captures the running emotion of fragility and its connection to legacy in this poem.

Adam Collinge’s poem ‘The Regimen’ captures the quotidian nature of routine which impacts positively on breaking from an addiction through subtle but affecting details like a ‘T-shirt / one size to big’.

The zine begins with a foreword by Chair of the Creative Writing Society, Toreh O’Garro, and ends with one of his poems ‘Sonnet 4: Silent Oh’s’. And it is clear from the quality of the zine, that O’Garro has led the society in a good direction.

The zine was launched at HOME on the 3rd of May, with live readings by the zine’s wide-range of writers. It was a lovely evening of literature and was great to see the zine out in the world, read aloud. And of course there needs to be a big shout out to the editors of the zine, Calvin Cheng, Adrian Kanyoli and Toreh O’Garro, who have clearly worked hard to make all these pieces really shine.

The problem with publishing

We often view publishing as a way to make our voices heard on a public scale, but what if it is these same industries creating silence, too?

Spotify vs Audible: The battle for audiobook dominance

With streaming giant Spotify making its first steps into the world of audiobooks, could your next Spotify wrapped be dominated by Sally Rooney and Dolly Alderton rather than Taylor Swift?

Why I don’t regret buying a Kindle

Don’t knock it ’til you try it. We breakdown the controversial argument on why Kindles might not be the worst idea after all

Boy Swallows Universe: Does reality make the best fiction?

How many of your favourite songs or stories are based in truth? We look at Trent Dalton’s novel, ‘Boy Swallows Universe’, to see how fiction and reality are intertwined in the arts