ryjackson

Breakfast, brunch and more…

Perhaps you’re getting bored of Spoons breakfasts and feel like a venture out… Read more to explore Manchester’s breakfast spots
Breakfast, brunch and more…
Federal Cafe. Photo: Elena Bradley

Since Fallow Cafe closed down, let’s face it, you’ve been lost. With no idea where to get a killer sausage sandwich or where to get rid of your hangover with a greasy cure, your brunch needs have most definitely not been satisfied. But lay in bed dreaming of smoked salmon and eggs no more, this guide to brunching in Manchester is your new breakfast bible; from busy bakeries to naan bacon rolls, it’s time to treat yo’self!

Pollen Bakery 

Cotton Field Wharf, 8 New Union Street, Ancoats

Ancoats has a lot to offer but Pollen is the best of the best. Serving incredible 28hr sourdough and a range of delectable snacks, cakes and, brunch dishes, Pollen is a must for any brunch lover. Although, get there early to secure a seat.

Dishoom

32 Bridge Street, Manchester

If you’re not in the mood for Eggs Benedict, head to Dishoom for their Indian breakfast naan sandwiches. A great setting and even better food, Dishoom brunch is the best way to kick off a Saturday. Just try not to look across the road to Mojos or Crazy Pedros for drunken memories of the night before.

Evelyn’s

44 Tib St, Manchester

LA vibes, strong coffee, and great cocktails make this spot the perfect place for morning celebrations or mimosa filled brunches. We recommend the Taiwanese Fried Chicken Roll or the Shakshuka, washed down with the Bloody Evelyn. Also, heads up to any contemporary restaurant that serve Kedgeree! An underrated classic; smoked haddock, poached eggs and curried rice. 

Thyme Out

147 Nell Lane, Manchester

If you fancy taking the bus away from town, past Fallowfield, and into West Didsbury (cue First Years’ hearts skipping several beats), then Thyme Out is waiting. Welcoming vegans, vegetarians and, meat eaters alike with warm breakfast burrito arms. They also offer bottomless brunch plates.

Federal Cafe Bar 

9 Nicholas Croft, Manchester

Federal is your go-to for a classic brunch experience at a renowned brunch spot in Manchester. Aussie sunshine and weekly specials, this gem started small opposite the Arndale and has since expanded with a larger branch along Deansgate. Again, get there early to avoid the brunch rush as they don’t and won’t take bookings!

Trove

5 Murray Street, Ancoats

Another of Ancoats’s gems. Like Pollen, Trove offers delicious sourdough, focaccia, and breads to take away but also a range of mouthwatering brunch classics. Strategically located amongst many of Ancoats’s bars, finish off your meal with drinks nearby…

View this post on Instagram

It’s Saturday!!! That means shelves full of #realbread!! Don’t forget it’s also Sourdough September! Eat it!! Eat it! Yummmmmmm 😂 Sourdough didn’t become part of our story until we started making soups in the winter for our market stall and knew we couldn’t have crap supermarket bread on it, as that’s not what we believed in. Also I couldn’t eat conventional bread due to IBS and what I thought was a yeast intolerance (that’s a whole other story), but at that time there were no #realbread bakers in Manchester so we started selling bread by @_flourwatersalt and Marcus would help him sometimes with his bake, this led on to us baking our own for the café but that’s the start of the next story….I’ll carry that on tomorrow…..have a beautiful, sunny Saturday ✌🏻..it’s Levy jumble tomorrow, CANT WAIT!!

A post shared by T R O V E (@trove_foods) on

Cooking a week of TikTok recipes on a student budget

Cooking inspiration can be hard to come by as a busy student, which is why I tried out a week’s worth of TikTok recipes to see if exciting meals could be achieved on a student budget

TikTok and Teatox: Why social media is sucking the joy out of food

From ‘What I Eat in a Day’ videos to fad diet trends, social media’s rampant championing of toxic diet culture needs to stop

Margarita Month at Zouk: All style, less substance

Zouk is offering a trio of Margaritas this February to celebrate Margarita Month; yet it seems like all the thought was put into presentation, and less into the drink itself

Flight Club: Margarita Month with a twist

We headed to Flight Club to try their special cocktails in honour of Margarita Month, from Mango Margs to Spicy Picantes