benjaminklaubergriffiths
1st October 2021

Gloriously Horrifying: Grimmfest Preview

Be prepared to be horrified, disturbed and spooked at this year’s Grimmfest.
Photo: Peppersquad @ pixabay

Manchester’s iconic horror festival returns in all its bloody glory for its thirteenth year.

From Thursday 7th to Sunday 10th October, the Odeon Great Northern will be hosting live the best and most exciting independent horror films from around the globe. Now featuring two of the Odeon’s screens, a weekend of thrills, scares and eye averting is truly inescapable. Recently named one of the top film festivals in the world, Grimmfest is an amazing chance for horror fanatics and film lovers in Manchester to attend their first film festival since lockdown.

The festival will keep you looking over your shoulder

Once again in person, the festival promises premiere after premiere and includes both full-length feature films and an array of horror shorts. Whether you prefer gory slasher flicks, tense psychological thrillers or the odd haunted hotel, Grimmfest is bound to terrify.

Best of all, if you miss the array of films on show, Grimmfest will also take to the internet from the 14th to the 17th October. The festival will happen all over again with virtual access. 

Leaving nowhere to run, the festival not only allows ticket holders to watch films from the terror of their own sofas but also provides numerous interviews with directors, actors, and writers to satisfy us even more.

To find information on tickets, screenings, and features, visit grimmfest.com.

Eyes Wide Shut 25 years on: A feast for the eyes, a nightmare for the mind

As part of Cultplex’s on-going Movie Church series, fans of Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut celebrate his beautifully nightmare-ish film 25 years on

Mothers’ Instinct review: How far will you go to protect your family?

Academy Award Winners Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain have a 1960s face-off in this eerie, twisted game of cat-and-mouse

My formative film: Sprinkles of Stardust can be seen everywhere

How Ian McKellan’s narration, Robert De Niro in drag, and Mark Strong in a matted wig makes Stardust the perfect fantasy film

Jurassic Park: T-Rexcellent or bit of a Dino-snore?

Does Jurassic Park still hold up or would Spielberg have been better off leaving the dinosaurs extinct?