the-mancunion-team
21st June 2022

Album Review: Liam Gallagher – C’mon You Know

Matthew Kliszcz reviews C’mon You Know, the new album from Liam Gallagher that’s beaten the Harry Styles record to number one.l
Photo: Marko Obradović Edge @ Flickr

Words by Matthew Kliszcz.

If you’re put off by the latest offering from Liam Gallagher because you think it will be same old same old, you’ll be glad to hear that the NME have praised it “his most experimental album yet”. And it is. Indeed, C’mon You Know‘s opening song ‘More Power’, with the chanting of choir children, makes this abundantly clear. He’s not gone all soft on us though; he still maintains that iconic bellow on all fourteen tracks, making us feel as if we are stadium-bound, waving our arms, and singing along.

His uplifting lyrics are now accompanied by the piano, a string section as on ‘Moscow rules’, and a more unique approach to the drum section as on songs like ‘it was not meant to be’. Even more distinctive are the hints of psychedelia added to the recipe, evident in ‘diamonds in the dark’s’ allusion to The Beatles in ‘its hook “now I know how many holes”. Nothing slaps harder than his single ‘everything’s electric” (no longer just “she” who’s electric, then), his co-write with none other than Dave Grohl, surely making it the collab of the year. Other numbers are launched into with the raunchiest of electric guitar riffs, maintaining for Liam his long-standing image as the ultimate rock ‘n’ roll star of this generation. And its songs like these that pushed the album past Harry Styles to get to number one in the charts, his fourth solo album to reach such heights. It must be the sudden release from the shackles of the pandemic that attunes our hearts to such uplifting anthems with titles as optimistic as ‘better days’ and ‘I’m free’.

His Knebworth show sold out out within a day, attesting to this popularity. But you can still see him if you’re fast as he is sticking to touring for 2023 as well as this year (his poor vocal cords). He seems to manage to put on a show this popular, despite the fact his arms never leave the back of his body or his pockets. Surely this is proof he is one of the remaining artists who are in it for the songs themselves and not the image. Give it a spin and see for yourself.

Link to the Liam Gallagher website, for all those in search of tickets.

Tom Odell live in Manchester: A triumphant return to the O2 Apollo

Armed with a newfound sense of freedom, ‘Another Love’ star Tom Odell returns to Manchester with an electric display of his latest album Black Friday

The Smile live at BBC Radio 6 Music Festival: Contagious follow-up project impresses Manchester

Fans gather to see the much-anticipated Radiohead follow-up project The Smile headlining the Radio 6 Music festival in Manchester’s O2 Victoria Warehouse

Liam Gallagher and John Squire live in Manchester: ‘Growing old disgracefully’ in the best way possible

Oasis’ Liam Gallagher teams up with boyhood guitar hero John Squire of The Stone Roses to deliver psychedelic raucousness in Manchester

This Feeling live in Manchester: Rivia, The Stride, and Kyris take Off the Square

META – This Feeling’s latest Manchester outing showcases three guitar bands with big futures