3rd March 2023

All aboard Manchester Opera House for a cruise through menopause

Menopause the Musical 2 will dock at Manchester Opera House as part of its cruise of the UK – starring Mary Byrne, Jessica Martin, Rebecca Wheatley, and Susie Fenwick
Photo: Menopause the Musical 2

No woman wants to experience a sequel to the menopause but a sequel to Menopause the Musical is a very different thing!

Menopause The Musical is a 2001 American musical about four mature women shopping for lingerie at a Bloomingdale’s sale, with lyrics parodying popular music from the baby boomer era to reflect symptoms of the menopause.

Menopause the Musical 2: Cruising Through Menopause fast-forwards five years to catch up with the same four characters for tales of their lives, loves and losses as they set off on the high seas.

Hot flushes, mood swings, memory lapses and weight gain, Cruising Through Menopause is truly funny, heartfelt and a reassuring look at the “joys” of menopause. When your life is a bumpy ride full of twists and turns, it’s hard to find and keep true friends – but, for these four ladies, the menopause was not the beginning of the end, but the beginning of a beautiful friendship where love conquers, and friendships never fail.

The all-star cast is made up of Mary Byrne (who came fifth on series seven of The X Factor), Jessica Martin (Copy Cats, Spitting Image, and the original UK casts of Elf the Musical and Big the Musical), Rebecca Wheatley (Casualty, Loose Women, and the original UK tour of Menopause the Musical), and West End star Susie Fenwick.

So, all aboard and Menopause the Musical will take you on a trip of self-discovery, love, and friendship, all backed by a soundtrack of hysterical parodied hits!

Menopause the Musical plays at Manchester Opera House for one night only (April 30) and tours the UK until June 18. The musical was set to appear at Manchester Opera House on March 7, but the day after this article was published, the main cast members were involved in a crash on the M3, with Mary Byrne taken to hospital. Four of the tour dates have had to be rescheduled.

Imitating the Dog’s Frankenstein review: A literally electric reimagination

Imitating the Dog creates a physical and electric reimagination of Shelley’s story, filling any pockets of confusion with drama and tension