2nd December 2010

Top 5: Poorly delivered lines

5. Lord of the Rings – ‘I’m no man’ So says Elf-girl Eowyn as she thrusts her blade in the Witch King’s face. I tend to think that the Witch King, when he said that ‘no man could kill him’, meant Man: the race and not Man: a male. Either he didn’t recognise female prowess or he didn’t foresee being stabbed in the head when he made this claim.

Four Weddings and a Funeral

1) Lord of the Rings – ‘I’m no man’
So says Elf-girl Eowyn as she thrusts her blade in the Witch King’s face. I tend to think that the Witch King, when he said that ‘no man could kill him’, meant Man: the race and not Man: a male. Either he didn’t recognise female prowess or he didn’t foresee being stabbed in the head when he made this claim.

2) Revenge of the Sith – ‘Hold me, like you did at the lake on Naboo’
In all fairness, there’s not a great deal Natalie Portman could’ve done with this line. It’s so bad. George Lucas should stick to robots rather than romance.

3) Die Another Day – ‘I’m checkin’ out’
The vague drumbeat in the background makes it sound like James Bond is rapping this line. So is it really that poorly delivered? No. I mean, it’s Pierce Brosnan.

4) Aliens – ‘They mostly come at night. Mostly.’
It’s great on paper, but the young girl who actually says the line in the film kills it stone dead. She doesn’t pause at the full stop, so it reads like ‘They mostly come at nightmostly.’ Hilariously botched.

5) Four Weddings and a Funeral – ‘Is it still raining? I hadn’t noticed.’
Forget the Iraq war, this is the real reason Americans are hated in this country. Andie MacDowell’s absolute slaying of the movie right at the very end has inspired bitterness on rom-com loving forums all over the internet. Hateful.

Steve Jones, Film Editor

Bodies Bodies Bodies review: Gen-Z horror slashes expectations

Written in Twitter-speak and featuring terrific performances from Amandla Stenberg and Rachel Sennott, A24’s Bodies bodies bodies is a whip-smart gen-z whodunnit that doesn’t talk down to its audience.
Don’t Worry Darling review: Controversy clouds mediocrity of Wilde’s second feature

The most controversial film of the summer, Booksmart filmmaker Olivia Wilde’s Don’t Worry Darling’s mediocrity is masked by the rumours surrounding its on-set drama and stars Florence Pugh and Harry Styles.
Cosy up with Backyard Cinema this Autumn

A preview of Backyard Cinema, the immersive movie experience coming to Manchester this Autumn.
Comfort films and TV shows to cure the freshers blues

Freshers week and moving to university can be a daunting experience even for the most excited fresher so The Mancunion’s On-screen team have got a list of the films and TV shows they turn to for comfort when feeling blue!