parizad-mangi

Top 5: Anti-rom-coms

Parizad gives us her top 5 films that break the rom-com formula

5.  Celeste & Jesse Forever (2012)

Jesse and Celeste are getting divorced but still spend almost every minute of the day together. After realising that this arrangement may be stalling their love lives they decide to give each other more space, resulting in a tale of how hard it can be to let go and accept circumstances.

4.  Annie Hall (1977)

Woody Allen directs, writes and stars in what may be the archetypal anti-rom-com. If you’re looking for a movie that holds the ethos of whatever may be anti-romance, then this is it.

3.  War Of The Roses (1989)

Divorce battles can be ugly, but it’s taken to a violently sinister level in this black comedy. After several years of marriage, things fall apart for Oliver and Barbara Rose and a cacophony of hurling plates, smashing statues and abuse ensues. No wonder it’s named after an historic bloodshed.

2.  Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)

Haven’t we all wished we could erase the memory of a certain someone to start anew? Eternal Sunshine makes this idea a reality. Jim Carrey’s Joel takes this step following the information that his ex Clementine has done the same; we get to chase along with Joel as he changes his mind mid-process and fights to keep every moment spent with her.

1.  500 Days Of Summer (2009)

“This is not a love story, this is a story about love”, we are told at the beginning of the movie. This indie flick is a delightful chronicle of how seldom our expectations match up with reality in the matters of the heart, making it the ultimate anti-rom-com.

The Zone of Interest review: Unseen horrors in Glazer’s heart-stopping return to cinema

A pair of chilling performances from Christian Friedel and Sandra Hüller present idyllic domesticity along the border of Auschwitz, and in doing so reflect the banality of evil with a uniquely precise edge

Hair, makeup and costume design nominees at the 2024 Academy Awards

Who has been celebrated for exceptional hair, makeup and costume design at the Academy Awards 2024… and who was snubbed?

Poor Things review: Award-winningly outrageous

Exploitative or experimental? Yorgos Lanthimos’ latest has become an instant success, but what is it and why does this cinematic experience deserve every accolade?

Falling in love with the screen: 7 things to watch this Valentine’s

Spend this cold and unforgiving Valentine’s season snuggled up to a film or show, expertly judged and recommended by our globally cultural and renowned experts