lily-carden
23rd February 2017

Mix and Match Stir Fry

Buying a stir fry deal from a supermarket always leaves me pushing mystery veg around my plate and wishing for more chicken or noodles. The simple way to get around this is by making your own. It seems really complicated but actually, it couldn’t be easier, just choose from this mix and match list and follow the cooking instructions.

Serves 2

20-30 minutes or so plus 1 hour marinade time

Ingredients

Protein

Chicken, strips OR Salmon OR Beef, strips

Marinade

Teriyaki
Vegetables (choose a mixture, you want about 1 extra large handful per person)

Pepper batons

Carrot OR Courgette ribbons (use a peeler)

Baby sweetcorn

Onion wedges

Sugar snap peas OR Mangetout

Spinach OR Bok Choi

Spring Onions
Carbohydrates

2 Portions Rice OR Fresh Egg Noodles

Method

Place the strips of chicken or beef, or the whole fillets of salmon in a plastic sandwich bag with about 3tbsp of teriyaki, seal and leave to marinate for an hour or so.
Prepare the vegetables so that they’re all in fairly narrow strips to help them stir fry evenly and if you need to cook the rice then do so now.
If you’re eating salmon then wrap it and the remaining marinade in some tinfoil to bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 12 minutes.
Heat some oil in a wok or large frying pan on the hob (side note: I bought a wok from Wing Yip for about £7 and once I’d seasoned it  — the oven method is best— it worked brilliantly). When the oil is hot put in the chicken or beef strips and stir fry until cooked (that’s only a couple of minutes for the beef but longer for the chicken to make sure it’s safe). Add in the vegetables and let them wilt, stirring constantly over a high heat. Chuck in the carbs, stirring to heat them through and distribute everything evenly. Break up the hot salmon and stir through. Serve in big bowls.

Behold the Bottomless Feast at Red’s True BBQ

Get legless and stuffed, at Red’s True Barbecue’s festive Bottomless Feast with both Meat-Lover and Meat-Free platters on offer!

Soy to the World! The Vegan Christmas Markets are here

A review of the Northern Vegan Christmas Markets that brought environmentally and animal-friendly festive cheer to all visitors

Manchester’s finest festive feasts

From New Century to Escape to Freight Island, FOLK to Reds True Barbeque, we’ve got all your festive food needs covered!

Coffee shops return with a latte new festive drinks

With so many festive additions, which menus will make you frappé this Christmas?