fabio-pozzi

Live review: Jordan Rakei

A methodological approach to disappointment

Monday 16th October, Gorilla

Jordan Rakei makes for easy listening. Soulful but not heart wrenching, jazzy but accessible, nostalgic but modern, yet translating the smooth sound of Rakei’s music into a live set proved an uncomfortable transition.

Gorilla was a solid setting for the gig. The sound system seemed to muddy some of the clarity Rakei’s recorded work is perforated with, but for an understated act like Rakei, the intimacy Gorilla provides is always welcome.

Before the meat of this review is fleshed out in it’s rotting core, it must be noted that the music was of unquestionable quality. The band was capable and tight-knit, providing clean instrumental passages between songs, sprinkled with pretty melodies and tidy riffs.

We remain fans of Jordan Rakei’s recorded music. He provides the odd track that if played at a mate’s house will convince them you are Fallowfield chic.

Now, onto the rot…

Whispers of “Is that him?” followed Rakei’s discreet and unceremonious arrival on stage. From this point onward Rakei failed to grab the audience. Methodically switching between more chorus focused tracks into longer and less known cuts left the set feeling robotic, failing to hypnotise or galvanise the crowd, and finding an uncomfortable limbo somewhere in between. That being said, the quality of musicianship kept the show palatable.

Rakei’s distinctive vocal delivery was sharp as ever, yet as a live performer, he and his band seemed to lack charisma. The closest thing to passion came from the occasional screwed up face of the guitarist at a jazzy lick and the bouncing heads of the drummer and bassist. It was reserved, to say the least.

The night ended with a flaccid encore. Rakei upped sticks without playing his most famous song ‘Sorceress’. A light natter arose in the crowd, more a feeling of “Is that it?” rather than a chant of “We want more!” After an awkwardly short five-second absence, Rakei was back.

The encore is a regular element of a live set, but Rakei’s music is not and never will be rousing. A set which emphasised musicianship with less robotic planning would have better played to Rakei’s strengths.

He is a talented artist, but not a performer.

5/10

More insight at https://www.facebook.com/Dscvry-on-Fuse-FM-1714679302163172/ and every Sunday at 8pm on Fuse FM.

Liam Gallagher and John Squire: Not quite a match made in Britpop Heaven

After the much anticipated collaboration between Oasis’ Liam Gallagher and John Squire, of Stone Roses fame, the LP ‘Liam Gallagher and John Squire’ ultimately falls flat

International Women’s Day at Radio 6 Music Festival: Gossip headline CMAT and Afrodeutsche

Artists Gossip, CMAT, and Afrodeutsche were on the line-up at BBC 6 Music Festival for a musical celebration of International Women’s Day

Young Fathers bring community together at 6 Music Festival

Young Fathers, Hak Baker, and Sherelle launch the first day of 6 Music Festival, situated for a second year in Manchester

Snow Strippers live at The White Hotel: The industrial EDM future is in good hands

The Florida duo Snow Strippers are successfully reviving a lost EDM sound which infected pop music throughout the late 2000s and early 2010s. Here they came to Manchester to showcase this new, revised sound in the dark, dingy White Hotel in Salford