Manchester’s Alternative Freshers: Bars, Pubs and Nights Out
We all want to have a great freshers week, but there can come a time when the list of nights in Tiger Tiger and Fifth seem endless. We’ve put together a list of 10 nights out that are guaranteed to add some variation to your partying schedule and help you get closer to your new friends.
- Roxy’s Ballroom in Deansgate is an American themed bar with games including pool, table tennis and beer pong. A great choice for groups for a fun pre-drinks that is a bit further out from Piccadilly.
- Dog Bowl in the Northern Quarter is a late night bowling alley with a bar, food and student discount. Go after midnight for 50% off.
- If live music is your thing, check out Jimmy’s, a laid-back bar with cool vibes and small bands often playing.
- A little closer to Fallowfield, Indigo in Withington is a cosy late night bar with open mic jazz nights on Wednesdays.
- For a great pint and a chat head to The Thirsty Scholar. Just underneath Oxford Road Train Station; this bar has great vegetarian and vegan pub food and a fantastic happy hour. You might even catch them serving gluten-free beer.
- Hold Fast NQ has board games and retro Nintendo video games all set in a deep sea themed bar.
- HOME cinema is the perfect venue for a night without the heavy drinking. Catch an independent film or play at a cheaper price with student discount.
- The Frog and Bucket might be a little further out but it is definitely worth it. It is a cosy comedy club with an amateur hour on Mondays. There is even free entry for students.
- If you’re looking to spend a little more of your student loan on something a bit more decadent, Albert’s Schloss in Spinningfields is a bit more up-market. It has a list of delicious cocktails and often features cabaret and circus acts. Be sure to book a table though – it gets busy pretty quickly.
- Finally, seek out one of Manchester’s most hidden gems. Using a buzzer is the only way to get into ‘Behind Closed Doors’ a retro and intimate bar in the Northern Quarter. Take your friends and have a giggle over the drinks menu full of innuendos.