subarton

No problem too big or small

The Advice Services here at The University of Manchester speak about settling into university life, and where you can find help if you need it.
No problem too big or small
Photo: Advice Service

Whether you’re arriving in Manchester for the first time or coming back to a course, there’s always a lot to do and take in at this time of year. It can feel like there’s a lot of information you’re expected to think about when you’re only just getting settled and trying to make the most of Welcome Week. The start of the year is always an exciting time but if there is anything you’re unsure about, you’ve missed some information or something does go wrong, the Students’ Union Advice Service is here to help.

The Advice Service is a dedicated service for University of Manchester students, run by a team of professionally trained advisors: “we are open for advice, Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm, both in and out of term times. We’re here to answer quick questions or provide ongoing support if you’re facing a problem that could take some time to resolve.”

The main information the Advice Service would like you to know is that:

We are confidential. You can speak to an advisor in the privacy of our Advice Centre. We won’t tell anyone outside the Service that you’ve contacted us unless you give us permission or there are very exceptional reasons.

We are free. You will never be charged for using the Advice Service.

We are impartial and independent. We’ll explore all your options, ensuring that the advice we provide isn’t biased or influenced by others.

We are non-judgmental. Our advisors are here to help with all types of problems, no matter what it is. We are here to help you without judging you about what has happened.

We are empowering. We’ll help you to understand your rights and we’ll give you the support, information and tools to you need to resolve the issue you are facing.

“You can come to us with questions concerning any aspect of university life, be it academic issues or student finance. We can provide advice on course changes, academic malpractice and University appeals and complaints.We can also answer questions about student finance, hardship and other money matters.”

“The Advice Services specialises in wellbeing; you can also speak to an advisor about bullying, harassment and discrimination. If you’re feeling homesick, concerned about a friend or worried about how you’ve been feeling, one of our advisors will be there to listen and offer support.”

The Advice Service is also available to help with common housing problems. They help students to tackle issues that include deposit disputes and disrepair. In addition, they helpfully provide a tenancy agreement checking service for when you are looking for accommodation in the private sector.

If something’s on your mind, no problem is ever too big or small.

Find out more about contacting an advisor at: https://manchesterstudentsunion.com/top-navigation/advice-service/contact-an-advisor

Manchester’s Alternative Freshers: Bars, Pubs and Nights Out

We all want to have a great freshers week, but there can come a time when the list of nights in Tiger Tiger and Fifth seem endless. We’ve put together a list of 10 nights out that are guaranteed to add some variation to your partying schedule and help you get closer to your new […]

Recipe: Beef Wellington with a Steak Diane sauce

A sexy beef welly recipe to treat your housemates to some proper winter grub

Live review: Jordan Rakei

A methodological approach to disappointment

Combatting Freshers’ Flu

Feeling a bit under the weather? Read on for some useful tips on how to take care of yourself this semester