dylan-wiggan

BAFTA 2013: Top 5 BAFTA Snubs

Dylan Wiggan lists the surprise snubs in this year’s BAFTA nominations

5. Pirates! for Best Animation

There are few things more quintessentially British then Aardman Animations, which made Pirates! shut out at the British film awards a bit of a surprise. Their latest work may not reach Wallace and Gromit heights but is a worthy release from the beloved Bristol studio.

4. Django Unchained Best Supporting Actor

Samuel L. Jackson and Leonardo DiCaprio are spellbindingly against type in their turns as slave and slave owner in Django Unchained. In a film of typically great ‘Tarantino’ performances (aside from the man himself) these two stand out as the despicable antagonists to lead Jamie Foxx.

3. Steven Spielberg for Best Director

Spielberg is not shy of awards, plaudits, money… well anything really. But with his biopic Lincoln garnering 10 other nominations, surely the man (literally) calling all the shots deserved some recognition?

2. Moonrise Kingdom for Best Picture

Wes Anderson’s latest quirkfest Moonrise Kingdom was a big indie hit last summer, and won The Mancunion’s coveted film of the year award.  A solitary screenplay nomination is a slight consolation, but you can’t help but think this tale of young love deserved more.

1. Skyfall for Best Picture

Skyfall was released in November and has gone on to be the most successful film ever in the UK with over £100 million.  Critics loved it too, many dubbing it ‘the best bond ever’. So it seemed Skyfall would finally break 007s duck and get some real awards love. 8 nods is undoubtedly a good haul, but it missed out on most of the major categories.

Priscilla review: Coppola gives voice to the voiceless

Sofia Coppola is back with another portrait of girlhood, this time showing the life of Priscilla Presley beyond Elvis’ shadow

Wicked Little Letters review: Profanity and mystery in 1920s England

Come for the endless profanity but stay for Olivia Colman in this new comedy set in 1920s England

Preview: Manchester Film Festival returns to the Great Northern | MFF 2024

Manchester Film Festival returns once again to the Odeon Great Northern, this time they’re celebrating 10 years of introducing cutting-edge cinema to the city’s audience

Uncut film takes: The biggest Oscar snubs of the last 10 years

Which films deserved a win or even just a nomination? We’re here to correct history