dylan-wiggan

BAFTA 2013: Top 5 BAFTA Snubs

Dylan Wiggan lists the surprise snubs in this year’s BAFTA nominations

5. Pirates! for Best Animation

There are few things more quintessentially British then Aardman Animations, which made Pirates! shut out at the British film awards a bit of a surprise. Their latest work may not reach Wallace and Gromit heights but is a worthy release from the beloved Bristol studio.

4. Django Unchained Best Supporting Actor

Samuel L. Jackson and Leonardo DiCaprio are spellbindingly against type in their turns as slave and slave owner in Django Unchained. In a film of typically great ‘Tarantino’ performances (aside from the man himself) these two stand out as the despicable antagonists to lead Jamie Foxx.

3. Steven Spielberg for Best Director

Spielberg is not shy of awards, plaudits, money… well anything really. But with his biopic Lincoln garnering 10 other nominations, surely the man (literally) calling all the shots deserved some recognition?

2. Moonrise Kingdom for Best Picture

Wes Anderson’s latest quirkfest Moonrise Kingdom was a big indie hit last summer, and won The Mancunion’s coveted film of the year award.  A solitary screenplay nomination is a slight consolation, but you can’t help but think this tale of young love deserved more.

1. Skyfall for Best Picture

Skyfall was released in November and has gone on to be the most successful film ever in the UK with over £100 million.  Critics loved it too, many dubbing it ‘the best bond ever’. So it seemed Skyfall would finally break 007s duck and get some real awards love. 8 nods is undoubtedly a good haul, but it missed out on most of the major categories.

Making sense of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl

Film discourse tell us of the sexism embedded within the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope, but does she have real life implications on young women?
Laura Hilliard Interview: “Storytelling is a noble profession”

Cinematographer and film lecturer at the University of Salford, Laura Hilliard, talks about filmmaking, cinematography, and the barriers of the film industry
“When I say I’m a virgin, no one believes me”: The Sisterhood of Mustang

Mustang stunningly captures a notion of female unity, it is distinctive in its relevancy to contemporary feminist movements
Aftersun review: A searingly original debut

Charlotte Well’s directorial debut tackles the fallibility of the parent and the limitations of childhood perspective