perisha-kudhail

Dark lipstick: Purple is the new black

Perisha Kudhail gives you a rundown of the best dark lipsticks on the market—the perfect final touch for any Hallowe’en outfit

Wearing dark lipstick shouldn’t be reserved for just Hallowe’en; you can rock dark colours no matter your skin tone. Don’t be scared—dark doesn’t have to mean black! We have some great lipstick picks that you can show off this Hallowe’en.

First up, we’ve got Revlon’s Super Lustrous Lipstick in ‘Va Va Violet’.

Revlon’s Super Lustrous Lipstick in ‘Va Va Violet’
Photo: Superdrug

This is a great all-nighter lipstick, so you won’t have to worry about topping up too much. This lipstick is perfect for darker skin tones, paired with some gentle contouring and simple eye make-up.

You can grab this for just £7.99 in Superdrug, and with 3 for 2 on lipsticks, why not jump on the lippy bandwagon?

TOP TIP: To check how a lipstick colour will look on you, use the skin in between your thumb and palm to test. This will be a closer match to your face than using the back of your hand.

Next up is Mac’s Heroine Lipstick.

MAC’s Heroine
Photo: Selfridges

This is fab for that extra oomph in your autumn makeup, with the purple shade especially matching with pale tones. This dark lipstick can speak for itself; just a few coats of mascara will be more than enough of a supporting act for this number.

Get down to Selfridges and grab this must-have for just £15.50.

TOP TIP: Try outlining the Cupid’s bow with a white lip liner to add ‘two tone’ to your lips.

Barry M’s Burgundy Lip Stain is a great date choice.

Barry M’s Burgundy Lip Stain
Photo: Boots

Have as many drinks as you like and not worry about your lippy disappearing. This pick is great for people with dark eyes, to further unleash the colour. Team up with burgundy nails and you’re good to go.

At only £4.49 from Boots, you can’t deny it’s an essential this season.

Treat yourself to both the nail colour and lipstick for £7.00 with Boots offers.

TOP TIP: Why not try using a slightly darker lip liner to accentuate your lips.

Our next contender, Rimmel Kate Lipstick in ‘107’, is great for most skin tones.

Rimmel Kate Lipstick in ‘107’
Photo: Superdrug

It is the perfect shade and formula for all year round. Try to mix this up by experimenting with different lip pencils for fill-in and outline. For a stand-out dark lip, try a dark purple outline filled in with this dark red.

A great buy for a superb look at only £5.49 from Superdrug.

TOP TIP: Make sure you blot glossier lipsticks so you don’t get unnecessary shine.

And finally, how could we do Hallowe’en right without the classic Black – Barry M’s Lip Paint in ‘Black’.

Barry M
Photo: Superdrug

Even if it’s just for one night, use Hallowe’en as an excuse to whack out those dark smackers.

Experimenting seems reasonable for only £4.49 from Superdrug. Barry M’s Lip Paint in ‘Black’ is a unique addition to your makeup box.

TOP TIP: Always outline and fill in the lips with lip liner to make a dark colour last for longer.

Primark goes online – RIP sustainable fashion

Primark has announced they’re moving online. But why? Is this really necessary for an already successful company?
Extreme beauty procedures: The Botox craze

We look into rising botox trends that move beyond the face into the strangest places imaginable, like feet and bladders! Read about the doctors who perform these treatments and the reasons people are getting.
The strange collaborations the fashion world didn’t need

Collaborations can be creative, political, or often both at the same time. But they are also a stamp of exclusivity for those who can afford them. We take a look at some of the weirdest collaborations that have been released recently, and consider if they really need to have happened
Exclusive interview: GIO-GOI x Umbro on Rihanna, rock ‘n’ roll and international recognition

GIO-GOI x Umbro has just released its latest collaborative line. We caught up with GIO-GIO co-founder Anthony Donnelly about everything GIO-GOI and what’s to come next