perisha-kudhail

Dark lipstick: Purple is the new black

Perisha Kudhail gives you a rundown of the best dark lipsticks on the market—the perfect final touch for any Hallowe’en outfit

Wearing dark lipstick shouldn’t be reserved for just Hallowe’en; you can rock dark colours no matter your skin tone. Don’t be scared—dark doesn’t have to mean black! We have some great lipstick picks that you can show off this Hallowe’en.

First up, we’ve got Revlon’s Super Lustrous Lipstick in ‘Va Va Violet’.

Revlon’s Super Lustrous Lipstick in ‘Va Va Violet’
Photo: Superdrug

This is a great all-nighter lipstick, so you won’t have to worry about topping up too much. This lipstick is perfect for darker skin tones, paired with some gentle contouring and simple eye make-up.

You can grab this for just £7.99 in Superdrug, and with 3 for 2 on lipsticks, why not jump on the lippy bandwagon?

TOP TIP: To check how a lipstick colour will look on you, use the skin in between your thumb and palm to test. This will be a closer match to your face than using the back of your hand.

Next up is Mac’s Heroine Lipstick.

MAC’s Heroine
Photo: Selfridges

This is fab for that extra oomph in your autumn makeup, with the purple shade especially matching with pale tones. This dark lipstick can speak for itself; just a few coats of mascara will be more than enough of a supporting act for this number.

Get down to Selfridges and grab this must-have for just £15.50.

TOP TIP: Try outlining the Cupid’s bow with a white lip liner to add ‘two tone’ to your lips.

Barry M’s Burgundy Lip Stain is a great date choice.

Barry M’s Burgundy Lip Stain
Photo: Boots

Have as many drinks as you like and not worry about your lippy disappearing. This pick is great for people with dark eyes, to further unleash the colour. Team up with burgundy nails and you’re good to go.

At only £4.49 from Boots, you can’t deny it’s an essential this season.

Treat yourself to both the nail colour and lipstick for £7.00 with Boots offers.

TOP TIP: Why not try using a slightly darker lip liner to accentuate your lips.

Our next contender, Rimmel Kate Lipstick in ‘107’, is great for most skin tones.

Rimmel Kate Lipstick in ‘107’
Photo: Superdrug

It is the perfect shade and formula for all year round. Try to mix this up by experimenting with different lip pencils for fill-in and outline. For a stand-out dark lip, try a dark purple outline filled in with this dark red.

A great buy for a superb look at only £5.49 from Superdrug.

TOP TIP: Make sure you blot glossier lipsticks so you don’t get unnecessary shine.

And finally, how could we do Hallowe’en right without the classic Black – Barry M’s Lip Paint in ‘Black’.

Barry M
Photo: Superdrug

Even if it’s just for one night, use Hallowe’en as an excuse to whack out those dark smackers.

Experimenting seems reasonable for only £4.49 from Superdrug. Barry M’s Lip Paint in ‘Black’ is a unique addition to your makeup box.

TOP TIP: Always outline and fill in the lips with lip liner to make a dark colour last for longer.

Horticultured: Manchester Fashion Movement brings great clothes to the great outdoors

First Chanel’s Metiers D’Art took place in Manchester last December and now RHS Bridgewater’s Horticultured unfolded in Salford showcasing some fantastic local and sustainable brands

My favourite jeans: Student journalists share their top denim picks

Looking for the perfect jeans? Look no further! Our writers and editors share all their top tips and fave pairs

Celebrity Style Guide #8: Dua Lipa and Callum Turner

We explore the style of up-and-coming couple, musician Dua Lipa and actor Callum Turner, from their day-time outfits to their after-party looks

Glossier: Cult brand or profit machine?

Glossier were famed for their Balm Dotcom and Cloud Paint Blush, but with product prices rising during a cost-of-living crisis will their cult status last?